Quillay (Quillaja) is a tree that grows only in Chile (Quillaja saponaria Molina), whose biomass (wood, bark, leaves and roots) has a high content of triterpenic saponins. Saponins are natural emulsifiers and multipurpose foaming agents.
Responsible Harvesting Techniques
Our forestry department located in Chile; utilizes the entire Quillaja tree biomass in the production of Quillaja Extracts and Powders. Since 1998, the biomass is obtained from the pruning of native forests, and more recently from plantations utilizing branches, bark, and limbs.
Innovative Quillaja Plantations
We have pioneered the establishment of Quillaja plantations to supply biomass for our specific customer’s needs. This decreases pressure on native forests and helps to increase tree distribution. Desert King International’s goal is to systematically transition to plantation raw material. Pruning in high density plantations can be achieved in 3-4 years.
Sustainable Raw Material Supply
Biomass from our Quillaja plantations and native forests, reduces the destruction of trees, while ensuring the same quality products and a constant supply of Quillaja for years to come.
Desert King Commitment – FSC® (FSC-C156804)
Our biomass supply operation is currently FSC (Forest Stewardship Council®) certified.
Our commitment to the native forest and respect for the law means that we do not buy wood from the following categories:
1) Illegal wood.
2) Wood extracted in violation of traditional and civil tradition.
3) Wood harvested from forests whose high conservation values are under threat from management activities.
4) Wood harvested from forests that are being converted to plantations or non-forestry uses.
5) Wood from forests where genetically modified (GMO) trees are planted.
Additionally, Desert King Chile S.A. undertakes to:
- Do not use Child Labor.
- Do not encourage forced labor.
- Do not allow employment discrimination of any kind.
- Allow workers to associate freely, elect their representatives and bargain collectively with the company.