What is QS-21?
Boost your Vaccine’s Immune Response with the world’s experts of scientific and sustainable solutions.
Vaccine adjuvants based on Quillaja saponins, obtained from our precursor, can be found in dozens of commercial human and veterinary vaccines manufactured by the world’s largest laboratories. New applications that include oncology, infectious diseases and other pathologies are also being studied.
To satisfy our customers’ growing needs, we have made significant progress in R&D to enhance performance, guarantee supplies and comply with the high standards that this market demands. Thus, we have established a strong integrated supply chain that ensures a sustainable production of high purity extracts.
Advantages of adjuvants formulated based on Quillaja saponins
Quillaja saponins effectively stimulate the production of antibodies and also induce a strong activation of the cellular immune response, stimulating the production of cytotoxic T cells against exogenous antigens.
Sustainable sourcing of Quillaja raw material for the future and assured availability of innovative, validated and effective products.
Our company produces two ranges of Quillaja extracts that are adapted to the different needs of our customers
Extracts with high saponin concentration
Our extracts are used by customers as precursors for obtaining adjuvant formulations. They are currently present in commercial vaccines against Herpes Zoster (Shingles), Malaria and the SARS-CoV-2 virus that caused the coronavirus disease in 2019 (Covid-19).
Extensive clinical experience with QS-21 from various sources *
- 162 human clinical trials have been carried out, with over 230,000 participants. (Vaccine trials containing only QS-21 or combined with other adjuvants)
- Present in more than 81 human vaccine candidates.
- Study of 14, Phase 3 clinical trials for Malaria, Melanoma, NSCLC, and Shingles.
- It is also studied in HIV, Tuberculosis, Alzheimer’s disease, Chickenpox Zoster and other cancer-type vaccine programs.
- Combinable with other TLR agonists for form adjuvant systems.
* The QS-21 manufactured by Desert King Chile is currently offered as a non-GMP, preclinical material and has not been evaluated in clinical research.
Desert King Internacional (DKI) offers QS-21 GMP manufactured by a cotracted laboratory in the European Union.
QS-21 pre-clinical is available as a Desert King product:
- A new QS-21 quality source.
- Available directly and without license agreements.
- Quantities of 5-500mg are in stock and ready to ship.
- Discounts offered to researchers and academics.
QS-21 adjuvants offer formulation flexibility
- Potent with small amounts of antigen.
- Combinable with other adjuvants and in various formulations.
- It offers dose-saving effect of vaccine antigen.
- Effective parenteral or mucosal administration.
- Favorable safety profile.
Boost your vaccine’s immune response with QS-21
- Adjuvant effects reported in the literature for more than 20 years.
- Increases antigen-specific antibody and T cell responses.
- Reduces antigen requirements for the formulation of vaccines.
- Helps to potentiate weaker antigens.
- It improves the duration and onset of the immune response.
- Used in prophylactic and therapeutic vaccines.
- VET-SAP® is a veterinary vaccine adjuvant precursor of a fraction of semi-purified saponin from the bark of the Quillaja saponaria Mol tree.
- It is the precursor of the purest saponin adjuvant available on the market.
- We can deliver the most consistent saponin purity and profile in each batch.
- Rest assured that VET-SAP® is traceable from the forest to the production line and following responsible forestry practices.
- Our integrated supply chain, from plantations to the final adjuvant precursor, eliminates the risk of future supply disruptions.
- VET-SAP® is supplied as a white to beige powder with a moisture content of less than 8%.
- The useful life of VAT-SAP® is 2 years at room temperature.
- VET-SAP® is standardized on non-saponin impurities (polyphenols and polysaccharides) to maximize batch-to-batch consistency.
If you wish to learn more about QS-21 we invite you to watch the following Video.
CHROMATOGRAPHICALLY PURIFIED SAPONIN FRACTIONS
We have developed technology over the last decade that allows us to produce specific saponin fractions with chromatographic methods, for direct use by customers in the formulation of adjuvants. The potential use of purified fractions of Quillaja extracts in vaccines against certain types of cancer, HIV, Tuberculosis, Alzheimer’s and Varicella Zoster is currently being studied.
Quillaja Saponin Fractions available for preclinical research:
- Aslanipour,B. 2017. Cycloartane-type glycosides from Astragalus brachycalyx FISCHER and their effects on cytokine release and hemolysis. Phytochemistry Letters 21 (2017) 66-73.
- Beck,Z. 2014. Detection of liposomal cholesterol and monophosphoryl lipid A by QS-21 saponin and Limulus polyphemus amebocyte lysate. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta.
- Ramakrishnan, A. 2019. Enhanced Immunogenicity and Protective Efficacy of a Campylobacter jejuni Conjugate Vaccine Coadministered with Liposomes Containing Monophosphoryl Lipid A and QS-21. American Society for microbiology.
- Marty-Roix, R. 2015. Identification of QS-21 as an inflammasome-activating molecular component of saponin adjuvants. JBC Papers in Press
- Alving,C. 2016. Liposomal vaccine adjuvant formulations. Academia Romana
- Genito, C. 2017. Vaccine. Vaccine 35 3865-3874.
- Noh et al. 2015. Programming of Influenza Vaccine Broadness and Persistence by Mucoadhesive Polymer-Based Adjuvant Systems
- Hwee-Ing, N. 2016. Potent response of QS-21 as a vaccine adjuvant in the skin when delivered with the Nanopatch, resulted in adjuvant dose sparing. Scientific Reports
- Cawlfield,A. 2019. Safety, toxicity and immunogenicity of a malaria vaccine based on the circumsporozoite protein (FMP013) with the adjuvant army liposome formulation containing QS21 (ALFQ) . Vaccine
- Van Hoeven,N. 2018. A combination of TLR-4 agonist and saponin adjuvants increases antibody diversity and protective efficacy of a recombinant West Nile Virus antigen. NPJ Vaccines
- Van den Sandt, C. 2014. Novel G3/DT adjuvant promotes the induction of protective T cells responses after vaccination with a seasonal trivalent inactivated split-virion influenza vaccine. Vaccine 32 (2014) 5614-5623